Following categories of Indians are eligible to be called Non Resident Indians
a) A person resident outside India who is a citizen of India i.e.
- Indian citizens who proceed abroad for employment or for carrying on any business or vocation or for any other purpose in circumstances indicating indefinite period of stay outside India.
- Indian citizens working abroad on assignments with Foreign Governments, Government Agencies or International / Multinational Agencies like United Nations Organisation(UNO), International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank.
- Officials of Central and State Governments and Public Sector Undertakings deputed abroad on assignments with Foreign Government Agencies / Organisations or posted to their own offices including Indian Diplomatic Missions abroad.
b) A person of Indian origin who is a citizen of any other country other than Bangladesh or Pakistan, if
- He, at any time, held an Indian passport or
- He or either of his parents or any of his grand parents was a citizen of India by virtue of Constitution of India or Citizenship Act 1955 (57 of 1955)
- The person is a spouse of an Indian Citizen or a person referred to in sub clause b (i) or (ii) above.
c) Students going abroad for studies are treated as Non Resident Indians (NRIs) and are eligible for all the facilities available to NRIs under FEMA